Sunday, October 25, 2009

Weekend Work

This weekend I went home to celebrate my dad's b-day, and also got a chance to hear his engineering opinion about my project. He had lots of thoughts/suggestions, which all culminated in a lengthy trip to Home Depot to purchase supplies. In a moment I will include updated illustrations that show the proportions of the materials we bought today.

Here's what we got: (It will make a lot more sense when you see how they will all fit together in the drawing. Don't worry.)
  • Schedule 40 1" PVC pipe
  • Schedule 40 1.25" PVC pipe
  • 1" PVC cap (to secure the top of the structure)
  • A christmas tree stand
Still to be purchased:
  • A bunch of 1/8th" birch plywood
  • Paint
I know what you must be thinking. These materials are not flat, and isn't PVC sort of toxic? Well...yeah. Here are my thoughts: The initial draft of this project is a prototype. If I had the time and resources to mass produce these shelves, I would use natural materials and design the base to be flat-packed. At this time, however, these materials will allow me to assemble a very functional and similar version of the final product, and for the most part still meet my three main goals:
  1. Organic form
  2. Easy to assemble, disassemble, & reassemble. No tools.
  3. Flat
With the prototype, I will still fully satisfy criteria #1 & 2, and mostly satisfy criteria #3.

No comments:

Post a Comment