Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Problem...

The group "restructuring personal space" has helped me think about my surroundings in a new way. I recently moved into a new place and have had trouble condensing the furniture that used to furnish a whole apartment into the space of one bedroom. I've watched design shows on HGTV and made some trips to The Container Store. It is surprising to me how profitable the industry of organization has become. I consider it a problem that in order to organize my things, I must go out and purchase many more things. When I take stock off all my possessions (as I recently did during the move) I notice that about 40% are organizational in nature. When it comes down to it, despite their utility, those items take just as much energy to move as they items that they store. There must be a way to modify the items I already have to work as organizational tools. If I need to create new organizational devices, why not design them myself so that they are inexpensive, flat-packed, and therefore easy to assemble, breakdown, and re-package?

No comments:

Post a Comment